Sunday 22 August 2010

Tales of samples



I first heard Michael Wycoff's looking up to you while cassette recording Dazz Bennet on Soul Nation. It was already 11 years old. I played that tape often because it's pretty brilliant song. Dazz was probably playing it back then (1993) because Zhane had a hit with Hey Mr DJ which samples the track. I liked "Hey Mr DJ" as well of course back then too. I never did buy the Wycoff LP-nor research it because my tape recording from Dazz seemed good enough.

I first heard "Looking up to you" at Event in 2001- at the King Georges Hall. It sounded wonderful and I then saw it as a Gospel song. By 2003 though I was a little tired of hearing it out and when "Praise Party" came along a few years later again using the sample-I turned away from it. The sample had become a tired and worn cliché.....

A few nights ago I found this...

http://soundcloud.com/thenapking/sets/be-the-one-ep

Track 4 being named Original Wackoff which on it's own is quite amusing.... It's another example of how easy (or not) it is to make beats....

In tribute I found my original encoded recording of Dazz Bennet- opened it in Wavelab- and using the time stretching tools-added a bit to the end... It took about 5 minutes...

No comments:

Post a Comment