Saturday 7 August 2010

Cashing in (on memories)

I note with a sort of sage like head nodding sadness the endless move towards themed Events. Parker's and the dreaded Blackpool Mecca are being revived yet again- in an attempt to do what they always did-make money out of music for people who can't make music. You pay your money drink your booze and dance your little dance-and somewhere somehow for just a few seconds you are transported back in time.... But are you really?

Time has no direction as such-entropy is it's only way marker. There is no entropy though about Blackpool Mecca- instead the opposite. I went there a few times back then and really I found it deeply disappointing, it failed to live up to my expectations.

Not that there wasn't good music played in the Venue-but there was a lot of great music that wasn't. For me the place lacked any real identity-it had too much of the white working class excluding subculture of Northern about it, even if it did from time to time takes chances and push out the boundary of the musical envelope. However it was always a compromise and thus quite flawed. I went to many places with more black faces that were better during the period. The all nighters at The Timepiece in Liverpool were a world away from Northern-playing a grittier more Urban and more contemporary style of music. Sobers in Manchester was another a good example of a scene removed from the hysteria of Northern Soul, and because of that long forgotten.

The rewriting of History with sepia ink has given places like the Mecca a special and undeserved cache. This translates into people thinking it was the ONLY place-and to a world of bottom feeders eager to turn memories of others to profit.....

CASHING IN- they certainly are

3 comments:

  1. I always liked Parkers a seedy hotel in a seedy part of Manchester,but the music was something new to me at the time.The new Parkers in a premium venue with premium lager at a premium price and £10 o.t.d. is too much of a premium to me at the moment,so i will give it a miss.D.J. obviously feeling the pinch
    as is evidenced by his sales of rare tunes,on the same weekend Frodisia a much worthier event
    and again music that is new and fresh to me.
    ATB Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve- I never went to Parkers (maybe I did once)-I did go to Searling's Sanky's Soap Nights and the Avant Hotel in Oldham (in the early 90t's). So I am not out to knock these nights or the people who enjoy them in both the original or revival forms. Dean Johnson has great taste and the list of tracks that are talked about having been played is quite impressive but I'm betting it's going to be the usual "Classics"...stuff frankly I'm sick of hearing at Venues....

    I'm tempted to go but you know......it depends really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse the spelling mistakes ... i'm tired :)

    ReplyDelete