Thursday 29 July 2010

Diary of a DJ (as told to me)

Roger Williams.
Tuesday
I have a reputation -"yes indeed" as Teena Marie once sang. Of course I've been in this Soul Game a long time-I've seen upstarts come and upstarts go and guess what? - I'm still here. Yeah... "I'm still here 'n breathin" as Rapper Big Pooh once spoke (across a funky back beat).Is my life complicated? Of course it is- and not many people realise just how much I have to do.
For example I've listened to 47 CD's choosing just 9 tracks, completed a CD Cover -recorded my Soul Sorts Borneo show, as well as cooking a meal (my Soul Soufflé as it known)-all in around 20 minutes this Tuesday Evening....Phew ! When it comes too relaxing, well I enjoy DJing in many half empty (or half full as I always remind promoters) Events up and down the country. I'm also a keen squash player having recently given up basketball.


Wednesday
One thing -it helps in this Game if you keep your feet on the ground. Thankfully I mix with a lot of people who know nothing about Soul-people such as Ralph Teee and everybody on the EMS Forum (except those who post about my show). A bit of humility also helps. I listen a lot to other DJ's and I must admit to admiring a few who no longer DJ (my inspiration) and a couple who still DJ. The secret of being a good DJ? Listen to me and rip off the tracks I play. The secret of being a GREAT DJ? Go up to a mirror and say "Hi! I'm Roger Williams". You need confidence in this game if you aren't about to be eaten alive and spat out again.

Thursday
I'm often asked by those visiting my Blog or Podomatic page "How would you describe your style in selecting music?” Well (smiles) it's not that complicated -I search endlessly then I give everything a listen and somehow-the playlist chooses itself. One tip is to listen and think "do I like that?" or "Would Steve Jackson play it?" or even "has Goldsmith already played that?” A bit of common sense also helps. If it's a choice between a track called "Suck my Dick N*gger bitch ho" and "Forthcoming on Expansions Charissa sings Soppy Love Songs"...well you know the way I'm going to go..... You must know your listener in this dog eat dog scene. Not that it's easy for me because I get thousands of downloads a week- but those losers on Starpoint frankly they could invite their audience to a meeting in a telephone box and still have room for a piss.

....................................................

Gary Lee
Summertime and I'm feeling mellow
Got up this morning and shaved the old Barnet. Regardless of all those rather unfunny Uncle Fester Jokes I think it looks good on me. I've been shaving my head a very long time now-certainly for as long as anyone up North. I'm not talking skin heads either -they just used a number 1 clip guard and hated people. Nope, rubbing on the old shaving cream and getting out the Bic-was the preserve of the uber trendy Soul Boy back in the day. Probably a Southern thing..we had clubs like "baldy's" and "slapheads" playing stuff that would take months to reach somewhere like Blackpool Mecca (which is over rated)...course that's forgotten about today. Will go on line later and find some great new tracks nobody knows about.

Next Day.
Just got back from a chinwag with Carl. I floated my idea of a head shavers chart for Starpoint. I could include artists like Joe; celebrities like TV's Kojack (who loves you baby) and top rated old soul boys such as myself. Carl seemed interested enough but I took too long about it and ended up letting down my Girlfriend. Now where did I put that foot pump?

The day after...erm no hang on is it....?
I'm looking forward to my show on Monday having got some great new tracks lined up from last year. I can't help but know that as a DJ -it's very difficult to remain consistent over time. It's not like I can ignore everybody walk down to the record Bar in Brixton and buy what that Black Bloke tells me too and just play that. If only it were so simple. I love Brixton-it's so London. They do things there years before they do in say Moss Side (which is over rated). Was thinking about Duncan Goodhew on the Underground-I mean... was he a shaver or had he once had leukaemia? Also I wonder if Gail Porter is on face book?.................................................

2 comments:

  1. Quality as always young man :rofl: <<< note EMS emoticon that I believe works elsewhere outside that forum. Is there anywhere outside that forum? Ha! Outside. That's funny, geddit?

    Muuuuuuuuummmm I've wandered again come and get me . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail Porter is in a happy relationship and her hair is growing back!

    ReplyDelete